A dramatic landscape…
Belledonne, a crystalline Alpine mountain range, protected by its wild and little-visited character. No roads cross this range, peaking at almost 3000m, and profoundly sculpted by multiple valleys, lakes, scree slopes, and sharp peaks. It’s a wild playground for hiking, in summer and winter. A natural paradise! Belledonne offers a wide variety of landscapes and many opportunities to escape, from the easiest to the most challenging.
> Discover the Belledonne Massif in photos: www.lumieredescimes.com/galerie/belledonne/
L’Échappée Belle allows trail runners to discover this fantastic mountain range, its landscape, refuges, and local food, while limiting their impact on the environment. “Our wish is to preserve the mountain by selecting the paths and reserving some areas for the public. All of this is done in discussion with the relevant authorities (ONF, NATURA 2000), and also the local authorities, in particular through environmental studies. So strict instructions are given to all competitors. They’re included in a convention, failure to respect the rules is severely punished”, explains Florent Hubert, organizer.
Set up with the help and support of the Espace Belledonne, the local authorities and all other actors (in particular the refuge guardians and shepherds), this Ultra Trail is above all an event for the inhabitants and lovers of Belledonne.
The “Espace Belledonne”
The Espace Belledonne, a nonprofit organization, created by the local elected representatives in 1998, it regroups the local authorities and socioeconomic actors of Belledonne. Started in the Isère, with 19 local authority members, the Espace Belledonne has gradually broadened its activities. Now all the 54 local authorities of Belledonne have joined the association. Drawing strength from its local roots and the diverse local and European programs, the association positions itself as the institutional reference for the territory and its members. The Espace Belledonne is responsible for defining the political project for its territory, its governance, and mobilizing the tools necessary for its implementation.
Belledonne, land of trail
- Around 80 km long of the Arc to the Romanche and about 15 km wide
- A vertical massif with an altitudinale amplitude of 200m to 3000m
- A mountain without any road
- 54 moutain town: 27 in Isère, 27 in Savoie
- 2 departments: Isère and Savoie
- 50 000 inhabitants
- 106 000 ha
- 18 main passes
- 90 pics over 2 500 m
- 70 lakes
- An industrial heritage (iron mines, hydropower)
- A thermal water: Allevard and Uriage
- Altitude resort: Le Collet d’Allevard, Les 7 Laux, Chamrousse, connection with Les Sybelles, Vaujany, nordic ski area of Barrioz and Arselle
- A diversified agriculture
- A wild and protected high mountain
- A dynamic pastoralysm, a biodiversity of national interest…