Hello to our dear trail runners,
While we of course can’t predict the final decision the competent local authorities will make this summer regarding l’Echappée Belle, all lights are green concerning the items we have control on : masses of volunteers, great support from city councils and territorial organizations, partners by our side whatever happens, and authorization request files under evaluation by prefectures of Isere and Savoie departments.
So we made the decision to continue preparing for the 2020 edition.
What are the next steps ?
– If you are France residents you have until June 30 to freely and unconditionally cancel your participation at reduced cost (20% withholding on registration fees). If you are unsure about feeling able to manage the still pending uncertainty, it is possible then to cancel without having to provide any justification. Therefore, just write your request to email@example.com by June 30. Beyond that date the usual cancellation terms will apply.
– As for runners coming from abroad, given the additional uncertainty occurred by some of the border regulations, you are entitled to cancel your participation under these same terms until August 8.
On Wednesday July 1st everyone will receive practical details on new processes for retrieving your bib, available accommodations, and reception conditions for the public and accompanying persons.
Can you tell me more about the trail course ?
- The 149Km (solo and duo) and 87km routes are almost identical. The show is guaranteed;)
- The pacers are still allowed.
- The start of the 62km ‘Route des crêtes’ will happen from the Collet station, and not from the Allevard village.
- Please note the 62km trail will require significant personal autonomy (1st aid station at km 30).
In the event of weather forecast uncertainty, we reserve the right as usual to modify the course.
What happens in the event the authorities actually don’t give their go ahead for the race to happen ?
If we don’t get the required authorizations 15 days before the race starts, i.e. by August 8, we will have no other choice than to cancel. You would then get refund for 80% of your registration (excluding donations), and all optional items will be totally refunded.
Why keep 20% of your registration ?
The Echappée Belle requires 10 tons of equipment, storage areas to be rented, one salaried employee since January, plus some related costs (registration platform, communication, amongst others). So we computed the relevant rate to enable the Echappée Belle organization to survive until the next edition. Such rate is only possible thanks to the unfailing support from our partners who we are thankful to.
What does an ‘adapted’ event mean ?
It is an event organized as respectful as possible of the current health rules. Here is a short summary :
For runners :
—> Increase your personal food autonomy. Some aid stations won’t be supplied as much as usually ; that will make the adventure even more intense. Don’t worry though, there will be everywhere enough to drink and something to eat ! Spare bags for the 87 and the 149km are still possible.
—> Hands disinfection (as usual now since 3 years) will be mandatory at the entrance of each aid station and a few other sites (start and finish lines).
—> Access to an aid station will follow a strict but simple distanciation protocole. We will tell you more about it this summer.
—> Start for each race will happen over several waves and according to ITRA rankings. Highest-ranking ITRA bibs first, and so on. The start for the last wave will happen at the usual times from previous Echappée Belle editions. Such protocol should ensure no bottleneck at aid stations and facilitate physical distanciation.
—> Wearing a mask will be mandatory in each significant gathering area and/or where physical distanciation is not possible. And when running, you obviously don’t need to wear a mask …
—> Podiums will be held along with runners arrival. There will be no closing ceremonies.
—> Rest area, dormitories and camp beds will be maintained. The maximum rest times are identical to previous years (see regulations) except that for once they must be respected!
—> A shuttle service to take you to the start lines will still be provided. However as of today we don’t yet know the shuttle access conditions.
—> The pasta and arrival meal options are maintained
For the runner assistance/accompanying persons and the public :
—> Each runner is entitled to only one accompanying person. A bracelet will therefore be provided with each bib. The accompanying persons won’t be authorized to get access to all aid stations and will be required to wear masks.
—> Other family members will be welcome to stay nearby but not to enter the runners areas.
—> The public will only be allowed in areas where physical distanciation can be enforced (i.e. at major aid stations and at the finish line site).
—> Animation activities aimed to the public and children will be significantly reduced. There will still be animation activities aimed to volunteers and runners.
—> A new live-tracking system is being evaluated to enable families and public to follow the event and races remotely.
I am Belgian and I worry :
– There will be beer « Echappee Belle » ! Still for moderate consumption of course …
And for myself as a runner, how do I make it all work ?
- I respect the instructions and rules.
- I ask questions if anything is not clear enough.
- I keep smiling. The volunteers and the whole staff did an extra-ordinary job to enable you to come and have a chance to recharge and empty your batteries in Belledonne.
- I train and adapt my pace and goal to my training level and capacity even more so than usual.
- I plan on a larger food reserve.
- I plan to bring a mask, decorated and beautiful if possible.
- I plan to carry a small bottle of hydroalcoholic gel with me just in case.
- I plan on bringing my own trash bag with straps as spare bag (149km duo and solo and 87km), where I will store my belongings, to bring to the start line.
- If I give up ob the race, I signal myself to one of the event organization representatives, and then try to organize my return with my loved ones. A return service will be provided, but your active participation will be very welcome.
Please be aware that we will do our best to adapt to any potential new directives and that our priority remains everyone’s safety.
Let’s not be afraid, let’s be careful and smile !
Enjoy your preparation !
We trust that you managed to find your way back to the tracks after the lock-out, while still applying the protection rules of course. For our part, we have been working since mid-march on adapting l’Echappée Belle to the current and moving health situation. We have actually decided to take a little more time in order to optimize our chances to maintain l’Echappée Belle, and we will announce a final decision on Saturday, June 20. We will definitely keep in touch and share any new and decisive information until that date.
We look forward to meeting you in Belledonne !
Meanwhile please take care of yourself.
Hello trailer friends
First of all we hope you and your beloved ones are in great shape. We are counting on your legendary ultra trailer mindset to apply confinement rules, although we are well aware how painful it can be for you going through such times. L’Échappée Belle is a demanding race and we hope, just like you, that you will soon be able to get back to training !
Many runners are currently worrying about whether or not our event will be held this year. To date we have no certainty but be aware we will do everything possible to welcome you in Belledonne, although that will only be as long as we can guarantee safety, for you, the volunteers, and the local population. The whole team is currently working on different scenarios in order to adapt as quickly as possible to the situation and to soon-expected government rules related to such events.
We remain very focused on the evolution of the situation and will get back to you very soon with more information.
Please trust we are doing our very best to meet up all together in Belledonne late August, in the best possible conditions.
Thank you for your understanding, let’s stand together.
The whole organization team
Sébastien Chaigneau, ultra-trailer and fan of mountains and outdoor sports, owns a dense track record with numerous podiums on renowned international races: 3rd place at the Diagonale des Fous 2005, 2nd in 2009 and 3rd in 2011 at the UTMB, 1st at the Lavaredo Ultra Trail 2011, 3rd of the TransGranCanaria 2011, 1st and record holder of the TransGranCanaria 2012 and 2013, triple winner of the Libyan Challenge in 2007, 2008 and 2009 (200 kms in 30 hours in desert and full autonomy), 1st of the Hardrock 100 Endurance Run (USA, 160 km, 10,000 D +) in 2013 …
We are thrilled to welcome him back to the race, and very proud to announce he will be the moral sponsor of this 8th edition.
In 2019, registration for Echappée Belle Intégrale was complete in 23 hours, and for the North Crossing in 7 days. We have a possibility to increase the number of places. But since we committed for a sustainable management of the race and we would like to prevent pushing on paths, to limit soil erosion, and preserve friendliness and pleasure.
Increasing prominence of Echappée Belle last years makes us think that 149km could be completed in few hours only, and the North Crossing (87km) in 2 or 3 days maximum.
This situation might create several inconveniences such as:
- Disappointment of those who did not have a chance to register;
- Registerrations on the spur of the moment without assessing how challenging the race is;
- Disappointment of people who could not register and are not able to run as their trail buddies do;
- Incomplete information provided during registration might trigger addition treatment time for our volunteers;
- International trainers who miss the opportunity to register because of jetlag.
In order to avoid pushing and to give equal opportunities to all to participate to Echappée Belle, we decided to establish the principle of selection by the draw for 149km and 87km races.
- The registration period will last 15 full days.
- Results will be available few days later.
- Registrations in a group are possible: in this case, ALL group members are chosen in the lottery, or any member of the group is chosen.
- Reasonable number of places are specifically reserved for female runners to encourage women to register and participate.
- Same for international runners.
- A defined number of 50 places are reserved at the discretion of organizers for volunteers, certain journalists, partners, etc.
- All who were not selected in the lottery will be placed on waiting list which will be used to continue registrations in case of cancellations.
This operational mode is complex, but it seems to us a better option to guarantee efficiency of the registration process by our amazing team of volunteers, as well guaranteeing quality of Echappée Belle.
This year, the insurance is included in the registration. It comprehends helicopter transportation, mountain rescue services, repatriation. For few more euros, you can have a possibility to extend insurance to one-year period and be covered during all your trainings and sport events.
Registration opening January 13th 2020
Three races in altitude throughout the wild, steady and rocky Belledonne Mountain:
- Echappee Belle Integrale, 149k and 11400m of elevation, solo or duo, from Vizille to Aiguebelle, for the complete crossing of Belledonne Mountain. With more than 40k above 2000m and a minimum of descent in the valley, this very technical and demanding ultra trail running offers an unique experience. This race is a real fun for experienced trailers who love stunning and challenging terrain.
- The North Crossing, 87k and 6140m elevation solo from Pleynet/Les 7 Laux to Aiguebelle, for sky-run-wild-terrain lovers. This ultra trail running offers a great opportunity to discover the North Face of Belledonne by day and its mythic Moretan Pass (be ready for 1500m ascent and 1500m descent in a raw)!
- NEWS The Ridge Track offers now a new route of 62k and 4700m elevation solo from Allevard to Aiguebelle. A very challenging route throughout the wild trails of Maurienne side of Belledonne, with the highlight Rognier Peak. The time limit will remain more accessible than the 2 other races, to allow runners to experience this adventure.
Discover the race: http://lechappeebelledonne.tracedetrail.fr/fr
For sake of security and well-being of runners, number of participants is limited to 500 per race (100 addition runners for duo on the 144k) on random draw.
The 2019 edition is a highlight in the history of the race thanks to perfect weather conditions coupled with an exceptional line-up of competitors and their impressive performance!
August Thursday 22th 2019, 05:00 PM Aiguebelle Gymnasium
3 time winner of UTMB and 4 time winner of the Diagonale des Fous, François D’Haene is a giant among the ultra-trail running world. After the Hardrock 100 in USA mid july, he’ll run the Echappée Belle, ultra crossing of Belledonne, August 23rd in Vizille, Isère.